Thursday 26 March 2009

London Black Taxi Cab Diaries, no 2

I was doing the Dean Street, Soho Square, Greek Street circuit for the 5th time tonight, but was glad to see an outstretched hand from halfway down Greek Street. It was a young man and woman, but the woman got in alone and asked to go to Earls Court. Immediately after telling me where she was going, she said ‘those bloody minicabs, they are so in your face; thank god you turned up when you did’. ‘Yep’ I replied, ‘they are blatantly touting but are somehow allowed to get away with it’. I continued ‘The funny thing is is that they are not cheaper; many a time I have picked up someone going somewhere that would cost them about £7-10, but before getting in, a tout had quoted them £15-20!’ Touts obviously don’t have all the costs to cover as we do, so why are they giving such high quotes? The next thing I said was a bit of a gamble, as it was something I was ashamed of as a London Black Cab driver – ‘did you hear about the London Taxi Driver who was giving women passengers drugged Champagne?’ She had, and she said she couldn’t believe women had actually been falling for it. She went on to say that she knew the only girl that got away, that just after refusing the drink, she pretended she saw a friend of hers on the corner and asked the cab driver to stop, then legged it. I was impressed – ‘so this girl didn’t just refuse the drink, she knew something was up?’ I asked, ‘oh yeah’ came the proud reply.

Video version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7HcOQY-ax4&feature=channel_page&fmt=18

No comments:

Post a Comment